CTK English Mass – 3rd Sunday of Lent Year A (12 Mar 2023)
CTK English Mass – 3rd Sunday of
Lent Year A (12 Mar 2023)
ENTRANCE HYMN
God of Mercy and Compassion
1. God
of mercy and compassion,
Look with pity upon me.
Father, let me call Thee Father,
’Tis Thy child returns to Thee. *
* Jesus,
Lord, I ask for mercy;
Let me not implore in vain;
All my sins—I now detest them,
Never will I sin again.
2. See
our Saviour, bleeding, dying,
On the cross of Calvary;
To that cross my sins have nailed Him,
Yet He bleeds and dies for me. *
Sign of the cross
Priest ✠ In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.
All: Amen.
Greeting
P✠: The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
All: And with your spirit.
Penitential Act
P✠: Brethren (brothers and sisters), let us acknowledge our sins, and so prepare ourselves to celebrate the sacred mysteries.
All: I confess to almighty God and to you, my brothers and
sisters, that I have greatly sinned, in my thoughts and in my words, in what I
have done and in what I have failed to do, (striking their breast) through my
fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault; therefore I ask
blessed Mary ever-Virgin, all the Angels and Saints, and you, my brothers and
sisters, to pray for me to the Lord our God.
P✠: May almighty God have mercy on us, forgive us our sins, and bring us to everlasting life.
All: Amen.
Kyrie Eleison
Kyrie eleison, Kyrie eleison, Kyrie eleison, eleison
Christe eleison, Christe eleison, Christe eleison, eleison
Kyrie eleison, Kyrie eleison, Kyrie eleison, eleison
1st Reading
– Exodus 17:3-7
In those days, in their thirst for water, the people grumbled against Moses, saying, “Why did you ever make us leave Egypt? Was it just to have us die here of thirst with our children and our livestock?” So Moses cried out to the LORD, “What shall I do with this people? a little more and they will stone me!” The LORD answered Moses, “Go over there in front of the people, along with some of the elders of Israel, holding in your hand, as you go, the staff with which you struck the river. I will be standing there in front of you on the rock in Horeb. Strike the rock, and the water will flow from it for the people to drink.” This Moses did, in the presence of the elders of Israel. The place was called Massah and Meribah, because the Israelites quarreled there and tested the LORD, saying, “Is the LORD in our midst or not?”
All: Thanks be to God.
Responsorial
Psalm – Psalms 95:1-2, 6-7, 8-9
R. If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
Come, let us
sing joyfully to the LORD; let us acclaim the Rock of our salvation. Let us
come into his presence with thanksgiving; let us joyfully sing psalms to him.
R. If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
Come, let us
bow down in worship; let us kneel before the LORD who made us. For he is our
God, and we are the people he shepherds, the flock he guides.
R. If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
Oh, that
today you would hear his voice:
“Harden not your hearts as at Meribah,
as in the day of Massah in the desert, Where your fathers tempted me; they tested me though they had seen my works.”
R. If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
2nd Reading
– Romans 5:1-2, 5-8
Brothers and sisters: Since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith to this grace in which we stand, and we boast in hope of the glory of God. And hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. For Christ, while we were still helpless, died at the appointed time for the ungodly. Indeed, only with difficulty does one die for a just person, though perhaps for a good person one might even find courage to die. But God proves his love for us in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us.
All: Thanks be to God.
Verse Before
The Gospel – John 4:42, 15
Glory to You, Word of God, Lord Jesus Christ
Lord, you are truly the Savior of the world; give me living water, that I may never thirst again.
Gospel –
John 4:5-42
Jesus came to a town of Samaria called Sychar, near the plot of land that Jacob had given to his son Joseph. Jacob’s well was there. Jesus, tired from his journey, sat down there at the well. It was about noon. A woman of Samaria came to draw water. Jesus said to her, “Give me a drink.” His disciples had gone into the town to buy food. The Samaritan woman said to him, “How can you, a Jew, ask me, a Samaritan woman, for a drink?” (For Jews use nothing in common with Samaritans.)
Jesus
answered and said to her, “If you knew the gift of God and who is saying to
you, ‘Give me a drink, ‘you would have asked him and he would have given you
living water.” The woman said to him, “Sir, you do not even have a bucket and
the cistern is deep; where then can you get this living water? Are you
greater than our father Jacob, who gave us this cistern and drank from it
himself with his children and his flocks?” Jesus answered and said to
her, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again; but whoever drinks
the water I shall give will never thirst; the water I shall give will become in
him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” The woman said to him,
“Sir, give me this water, so that I may not be thirsty or have to keep coming
here to draw water.” Jesus said to her, “Go call your husband and come back.”
The woman answered and said to him, “I do not have a husband.”
Jesus
answered her, “You are right in saying, ‘I do not have a husband.’ For you have
had five husbands, and the one you have now is not your husband. What you have
said is true.” The woman said to him, “Sir, I can see that you are a
prophet. Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain; but you people say
that the place to worship is in Jerusalem.” Jesus said to her, “Believe me,
woman, the hour is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this
mountain nor in Jerusalem. You people worship what you do not understand; we
worship what we understand, because salvation is from the Jews. But the
hour is coming, and is now here, when true worshipers will worship the Father
in Spirit and truth; and indeed the Father seeks such people to worship him.
God is Spirit, and those who worship him must worship in Spirit and
truth.” The woman said to him, “I know that the Messiah is coming, the
one called the Christ; when he comes, he will tell us everything.” Jesus said
to her, “I am he, the one speaking with you.” At that moment his disciples
returned, and were amazed that he was talking with a woman, but still no one
said, “What are you looking for?” or “Why are you talking with her?” The
woman left her water jar and went into the town and said to the people,
“Come see a man who told me everything I have done. Could he possibly be the
Christ?” They went out of the town and came to him. Meanwhile, the
disciples urged him, “Rabbi, eat.” But he said to them, “I have food to eat of
which you do not know.”
So the
disciples said to one another, “Could someone have brought him something to
eat?”
Jesus
said to them, “My food is to do the will of the one who sent me and to finish
his work. Do you not say, ‘In four months the harvest will be here’? I tell
you, look up and see the fields ripe for the harvest. The reaper is already
receiving payment and gathering crops for eternal life, so that the sower and
reaper can rejoice together. For here the saying is verified that ‘One
sows and another reaps.’ I sent you to reap what you have not worked for; others
have done the work, and you are sharing the fruits of their work.” Many
of the Samaritans of that town began to believe in him because of the word of
the woman who testified, “He told me everything I have done.”
When the
Samaritans came to him, they invited him to stay with them; and he stayed there
two days. Many more began to believe in him because of his word, and they
said to the woman, “We no longer believe because of your word; for we have
heard for ourselves, and we know that this is truly the savior of the world.”
All: Praise to You, Lord Jesus Christ.
Nicene Creed
I believe in one God,
the Father almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all things visible and invisible.
I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ,
the Only Begotten Son of God,
born of the Father before all ages.
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father; through him all things were made.
For us men and for our salvation
he came down from heaven, and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary, and became man.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate, he
suffered death and was buried,
and rose again on the third day
in accordance with the Scriptures.
He ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory
to judge the living and the dead and his kingdom will have no end.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son,
who with the Father and the Son is adored and glorified, who has spoken through the prophets.
I believe in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church. I confess one Baptism for the forgiveness of sins and I look forward to the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come. Amen.
Prayer of
the Faithful
P✠: Let us pray to the Lord.
All: O Lord hear our prayer, O Lord hear our prayer,
when I call answer me.
O Lord hear our prayer, O Lord hear our prayer, come and listen to me.
OFFERTORY
HYMN
Come to the Water
* Come to the water! You who are thirsty!
Though you have nothing, I bid you come!
And be filled with the goodness I have to offer!
Come! Listen! Live.
1. Why spend your money on what cannot fill
The emptiness deep in your heart?
Listen to My word and you will enjoy
Goodness and peace in your heart! *
2.. Just as the heavens are high above earth;
My ways and thoughts beyond you!
Call me your Father and know I am near!
I will be Father to you! *
3. Just as the rain falls to water the earth;
Just as a seed becomes bread
My word upon you can never return
Until My longing is filled! *
Preparation of the Altar and the Gifts
P✠: Pray, brethren
(brothers and sisters), that my sacrifice and yours be acceptable to God, the
almighty Father.
All: May the Lord accept the sacrifice at your hands for the
praise and glory of his name, for our good and the good of all his holy
Church.
P✠: The Lord be
with you.
All: And with your spirit.
P✠: Lift up your hearts.
All: We lift them up to the Lord.
P✠: Let us give thanks to the Lord our God.
All: It is right and just.
P✠: It is truly
right and just,.... , as with one voice we acclaim:
Sanctus
Holy, Holy, Holy Lord God of hosts.
Heaven and earth are full of your glory.
Hosanna in the highest. Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord.
Hosanna in the highest.
P✠: You are indeed
Holy, O Lord, the….
At the time he was betrayed and entered willingly into his
Passion, he took bread and, giving thanks, broke it, and gave it to his
disciples, saying:
TAKE THIS, ALL OF YOU, AND EAT OF IT,
FOR THIS IS MY BODY,
WHICH WILL BE GIVEN UP FOR YOU.
P✠: In a similar
way, when supper was ended, he took the chalice and, once more giving thanks,
he gave it to his disciples, saying:
TAKE THIS, ALL OF YOU, AND DRINK FROM IT,
FOR THIS IS THE CHALICE OF MY BLOOD,
THE BLOOD OF THE NEW AND ETERNAL COVENANT, WHICH WILL BE POURED OUT FOR YOU AND FOR MANY
FOR THE FORGIVENESS OF SINS.
DO THIS IN MEMORY OF ME.
P✠: The mystery of
faith.
All: We proclaim your Death, O Lord, and profess your
Resurrection until You come again.
P✠: Therefore, as
we celebrate the memorial of his Death and Resurrection,.....
P✠: Through him,
and with him, and in him,
O God, almighty Father,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
all glory and honor is yours, for ever and ever.
All: Amen.
Lord’s Prayer
P✠: At the Savior’s command and formed by divine teaching, we dare to say:
All: Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come, thy will be done
on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts,
as we forgive those who debt against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil. Amen.
P✠: Deliver us,
Lord, we pray, from every evil, graciously grant peace in our days, that, by
the help of your mercy, we may be always free from sin and safe from all
distress, as we await the blessed hope and the coming of our Savior, Jesus
Christ.
All: For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours,
now and for ever.
P✠: Lord Jesus
Christ, who said to your Apostles: Peace I leave you, my peace I give you, look
not on our sins, but on the faith of your Church, and graciously grant her
peace and unity in accordance with your will. Who live and reign for ever and
ever.
All: Amen.
P✠: The peace of the Lord be with you always.
All: And with your spirit.
P✠: Let us offer each other the sign of peace.
Agnus Dei
All: Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world, have
mercy on us.
Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world, have mercy on us.
Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world, grant us peace.
P✠: Lord Jesus
Christ,....
P✠: Behold the Lamb of God, behold him who takes
away the sins of the world. Blessed are those called to the supper of the Lamb.
All: Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
COMMUNION HYMN
Rock
of My Salvation
You are the Rock of my
salvation,
You are the strength of my life.
You are my hope and my inspiration,
Lord, unto You will I cry.
I believe in You,
believe in You, for Your faithful love to me.
You have been my help in time of need;
Lord, unto You will I cleave.
You are the Rock of my
salvation,
You are the strength of my life.
I
am the Bread of Life (v. 1)
1. I am the Bread of
Life
I am the bread of life.
He who comes to me shall not hunger;
he who believes in me shall not thirst.
No one can come to me
unless the Father draw him. *
* And I will raise him
up,
and I will raise him up,
and I will raise him up on the last day.
2. The bread that I
will give
is my flesh for the life of the world,
and he who eats of this bread,
he shall live for ever,
he shall live for ever.*
3. Unless you eat
of the flesh of the Son of Man
and drink of his blood,
and drink of his blood,
you shall not have life within you. *
4. I am the
resurrection,
I am the life.
He who believes in me
even if he die,
he shall live for ever. *
5. Yes, Lord, I believe
that you are the Christ,
the Son of God,
who has come
into the world. *
Prayer After Communion
P✠: Let us pray. …..
…..
All: Amen.
P✠:
The Lord be with you.
All: And with your spirit.
P✠: May almighty God bless you, ✠ the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
All: Amen
P✠: Go forth, the Mass is ended.
All: Thanks be to God.
RECESSIONAL HYMN
Saviour
is Waiting, The
1. The saviour is
waiting to enter your heart
Why don’t you let Him come in?
There’s nothing in this world to keep you apart
What is your answer to Him? *
* Time after time He
has waited before
And now He is waiting again
To see if you’re willing to open the door
O how He wants to come in!
2. If you’ll take one
step toward the Saviour, my friend,
You’ll find His arms open wide;
Receive Him and all of your darkness will end,
Within your heart He’ll abid. *
Look with pity upon me.
Father, let me call Thee Father,
’Tis Thy child returns to Thee. *
Let me not implore in vain;
All my sins—I now detest them,
Never will I sin again.
On the cross of Calvary;
To that cross my sins have nailed Him,
Yet He bleeds and dies for me. *
Priest ✠ In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.
Greeting
P✠: The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
P✠: Brethren (brothers and sisters), let us acknowledge our sins, and so prepare ourselves to celebrate the sacred mysteries.
P✠: May almighty God have mercy on us, forgive us our sins, and bring us to everlasting life.
Kyrie eleison, Kyrie eleison, Kyrie eleison, eleison
Christe eleison, Christe eleison, Christe eleison, eleison
Kyrie eleison, Kyrie eleison, Kyrie eleison, eleison
In those days, in their thirst for water, the people grumbled against Moses, saying, “Why did you ever make us leave Egypt? Was it just to have us die here of thirst with our children and our livestock?” So Moses cried out to the LORD, “What shall I do with this people? a little more and they will stone me!” The LORD answered Moses, “Go over there in front of the people, along with some of the elders of Israel, holding in your hand, as you go, the staff with which you struck the river. I will be standing there in front of you on the rock in Horeb. Strike the rock, and the water will flow from it for the people to drink.” This Moses did, in the presence of the elders of Israel. The place was called Massah and Meribah, because the Israelites quarreled there and tested the LORD, saying, “Is the LORD in our midst or not?”
All: Thanks be to God.
R. If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
R. If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
R. If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
“Harden not your hearts as at Meribah,
as in the day of Massah in the desert, Where your fathers tempted me; they tested me though they had seen my works.”
R. If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
Brothers and sisters: Since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith to this grace in which we stand, and we boast in hope of the glory of God. And hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. For Christ, while we were still helpless, died at the appointed time for the ungodly. Indeed, only with difficulty does one die for a just person, though perhaps for a good person one might even find courage to die. But God proves his love for us in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us.
All: Thanks be to God.
Glory to You, Word of God, Lord Jesus Christ
Lord, you are truly the Savior of the world; give me living water, that I may never thirst again.
Jesus came to a town of Samaria called Sychar, near the plot of land that Jacob had given to his son Joseph. Jacob’s well was there. Jesus, tired from his journey, sat down there at the well. It was about noon. A woman of Samaria came to draw water. Jesus said to her, “Give me a drink.” His disciples had gone into the town to buy food. The Samaritan woman said to him, “How can you, a Jew, ask me, a Samaritan woman, for a drink?” (For Jews use nothing in common with Samaritans.)
All: Praise to You, Lord Jesus Christ.
the Father almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all things visible and invisible.
the Only Begotten Son of God,
born of the Father before all ages.
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father; through him all things were made.
For us men and for our salvation
he came down from heaven, and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary, and became man.
and rose again on the third day
in accordance with the Scriptures.
He ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory
to judge the living and the dead and his kingdom will have no end.
who with the Father and the Son is adored and glorified, who has spoken through the prophets.
I believe in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church. I confess one Baptism for the forgiveness of sins and I look forward to the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come. Amen.
P✠: Let us pray to the Lord.
O Lord hear our prayer, O Lord hear our prayer, come and listen to me.
Though you have nothing, I bid you come!
And be filled with the goodness I have to offer!
Come! Listen! Live.
The emptiness deep in your heart?
Listen to My word and you will enjoy
Goodness and peace in your heart! *
My ways and thoughts beyond you!
Call me your Father and know I am near!
I will be Father to you! *
Just as a seed becomes bread
My word upon you can never return
Until My longing is filled! *
P✠: Lift up your hearts.
P✠: Let us give thanks to the Lord our God.
Heaven and earth are full of your glory.
Hosanna in the highest. Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord.
Hosanna in the highest.
FOR THIS IS MY BODY,
WHICH WILL BE GIVEN UP FOR YOU.
FOR THIS IS THE CHALICE OF MY BLOOD,
THE BLOOD OF THE NEW AND ETERNAL COVENANT, WHICH WILL BE POURED OUT FOR YOU AND FOR MANY
FOR THE FORGIVENESS OF SINS.
DO THIS IN MEMORY OF ME.
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
all glory and honor is yours, for ever and ever.
All: Amen.
P✠: At the Savior’s command and formed by divine teaching, we dare to say:
on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts,
as we forgive those who debt against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil. Amen.
P✠: The peace of the Lord be with you always.
P✠: Let us offer each other the sign of peace.
Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world, have mercy on us.
Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world, grant us peace.
All: Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
You are the strength of my life.
You are my hope and my inspiration,
Lord, unto You will I cry.
You have been my help in time of need;
Lord, unto You will I cleave.
You are the strength of my life.
I am the bread of life.
He who comes to me shall not hunger;
he who believes in me shall not thirst.
No one can come to me
unless the Father draw him. *
and I will raise him up,
and I will raise him up on the last day.
is my flesh for the life of the world,
and he who eats of this bread,
he shall live for ever,
he shall live for ever.*
of the flesh of the Son of Man
and drink of his blood,
and drink of his blood,
you shall not have life within you. *
I am the life.
He who believes in me
even if he die,
he shall live for ever. *
that you are the Christ,
the Son of God,
who has come
into the world. *
P✠: Let us pray. …..
All: Amen.
All: And with your spirit.
P✠: May almighty God bless you, ✠ the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
All: Amen
P✠: Go forth, the Mass is ended.
All: Thanks be to God.
Why don’t you let Him come in?
There’s nothing in this world to keep you apart
What is your answer to Him? *
And now He is waiting again
To see if you’re willing to open the door
O how He wants to come in!
You’ll find His arms open wide;
Receive Him and all of your darkness will end,
Within your heart He’ll abid. *
Comments
Post a Comment